Solomon, Steiner & Peck, Ltd.
Call today for a consultation:
216-245-0185 / 866-642-0932

Guardianships & Conservatorships Archives

Should you create a conservatorship in your estate plan?

You have a child who is growing into an adult. You know that it's not safe for them to live alone or to try to care for themselves because their disability makes them unable to do so safely. As you've been working on your estate plan, this has been weighing heavily on your mind.

How do you become a conservator in Ohio?

A conservator is a person is entrusted with caring for a conservatee. That individual takes on the role voluntarily and is given legal power to perform certain tasks for the conservatee. Usually, the conservatee is the one who chooses who their conservator will be.

Understand the importance of a conservatorship

When you're creating an estate plan, one thing you need to learn about is guardianship and conservatorships. Guardianship is also known as conservatorship in some states, and it refers to the court appointing someone to take care of the legal rights of a mentally incapacitated person. This person becomes known as the "ward" of the conservator or guardian.

How can you choose a power of attorney?

A durable power of attorney, known as a POA, is one of the most, if not the most, important documents in your estate plan. This document assigns a person as the representative who will act on your behalf if you are not able to do so. They may manage your business and financial transactions on your behalf.

How does a judge decide whether to set up a guardianship?

When many people hear the term "guardian" being used, they often think about a child who maybe isn't able to reside with their own biological parents. In those cases, a third party is appointed by a family court judge to take care of them. This isn't the only type of guardianship that exists.

Guardianships in Ohio

People who are incapacitated because of a disability or are minors may need a guardian to manage their financial affairs and make important decisions about their care. A person in need of a guardianship is known as a ward. In Ohio, parents may nominate a guardian for their children for the future in case they die before the child reaches adulthood by putting a signed nomination in writing witnessed by two disinterested parties.

Planning now could prevent abuse by guardian in later years

Ohio residents often avoid thinking about what could happen if they become physically or mentally vulnerable in old age. If a person has not set up a durable power of attorney and medical power of attorney during healthy times, then an abusive agent might step in and become a guardian or conservator who uses an elder's finances for personal gain.

Our attorneys can help you handle your Ohio estate plan

Because of old age, a disease, a serious accident or injury, many people, old and young alike, can become incapable of taking care of themselves and their financial affairs. In these circumstances, it is necessary for another person to handle their personal affairs, which includes making all their important health care decisions for them.

Planning for incapacity

While many people understand the necessity of estate planning, many also focus solely on what will happen when they die rather than making provisions for possible disability. The type of planning concerning making decisions for someone who is incapable of handling his or her own affairs is called "incompetency planning," and it should be an integral part of any estate plan.

2005 BBB Torch Award Recipient Recipients of the 2005 BBB Torch Award Honoring Business of Integrity

  • ASNP
  • CMBA Green Certified 2107-19
  • member of the national eldercare matters Alliance
  • Golden opportunities

We are here to help. Contact our attorneys today.   

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Mayfield Heights Office
6105 Parkland Boulevard
Suite 140
Mayfield Heights, OH 44124

Toll Free: 866-642-0932
Phone: 216-245-0185
Fax: 216-595-2787
Mayfield Heights Law Office Map

Independence Office
Crowne Centre
5005 Rockside Road, Suite 600
Independence, OH 44131

Toll Free: 866-642-0932
Phone: 216-245-0185
Fax: 216-595-2787
Map & Directions

Westlake Office
PS Executive Centers
1991 Crocker Road
Suite 600
Westlake, OH 44145

Toll Free: 866-642-0932
Phone: 216-245-0185
Fax: 216-595-2787
Map & Directions

Mentor Office
5966 Heisley Road
Ste 201
Mentor, OH 44060

Toll Free: 866-642-0932
Phone: 216-245-0185
Fax: 216-595-2787
Map & Directions

Review Us