Solomon, Steiner & Peck, Ltd.
Call today for a consultation:
216-245-0185 / 866-642-0932

How do you become a conservator in Ohio?

A conservator is a person is entrusted with caring for a conservatee. That individual takes on the role voluntarily and is given legal power to perform certain tasks for the conservatee. Usually, the conservatee is the one who chooses who their conservator will be.

It is important that the person who is seeking a conservator or a person who is seeking to become a conservator for a loved one files for the role in a local court in the county where they reside. On top of that, there are a few documents that will be needed including:

  • A written statement that establishes that the conservatee is physically infirm. This document must come from a medical provider.
  • A Social Security form that is completed by the conservator
  • Probate forms
  • A copy of the driver's license or government ID of both the proposed conservator and conservatee
  • A record check authorization for the proposed conservator

You will also be expected to pay any court fees that apply to the application.

When speaking about conservators, most people assume that these individuals retain their legal powers indefinitely. The reality is that the court has the right to terminate a conservatorship. For example, if the conservatee becomes mentally incompetent, then the person listed as power of attorney in their will may take over the role of caring for them, and the conservatorship may be terminated. A conservator also has the right to terminate their role at any time by resigning, but the role can be maintained if a successor is appointed at that time.

If you may become a conservator or are a person looking to assign a conservator, you may want to look into your legal options with appropriate assistance.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

2005 BBB Torch Award Recipient Recipients of the 2005 BBB Torch Award Honoring Business of Integrity

  • ASNP
  • CMBA Green Certified 2107-19
  • member of the national eldercare matters Alliance
  • Golden opportunities

We are here to help. Contact our attorneys today.   

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Mayfield Heights Office
6105 Parkland Boulevard
Suite 140
Mayfield Heights, OH 44124

Toll Free: 866-642-0932
Phone: 216-245-0185
Fax: 216-595-2787
Mayfield Heights Law Office Map

Independence Office
Crowne Centre
5005 Rockside Road, Suite 600
Independence, OH 44131

Toll Free: 866-642-0932
Phone: 216-245-0185
Fax: 216-595-2787
Map & Directions

Westlake Office
PS Executive Centers
1991 Crocker Road
Suite 600
Westlake, OH 44145

Toll Free: 866-642-0932
Phone: 216-245-0185
Fax: 216-595-2787
Map & Directions

Mentor Office
5966 Heisley Road
Ste 201
Mentor, OH 44060

Toll Free: 866-642-0932
Phone: 216-245-0185
Fax: 216-595-2787
Map & Directions

Review Us