Solomon, Steiner & Peck, Ltd.
Call today for a consultation:
216-245-0185 / 866-642-0932

Guardianships in Ohio

People who are incapacitated because of a disability or are minors may need a guardian to manage their financial affairs and make important decisions about their care. A person in need of a guardianship is known as a ward. In Ohio, parents may nominate a guardian for their children for the future in case they die before the child reaches adulthood by putting a signed nomination in writing witnessed by two disinterested parties.

A probate court must appoint a guardian for it to become official. Under Ohio law, family members are given preference over non-family members. Once appointed, the guardian must report to the court how he or she is managing the ward's property and care. Natural parents of minor children do not typically seek guardianship over their own children because they are already legally considered guardians.

If an incapacitated adult needs a guardian, the incapacity must be proven by an affidavit or testimony from a licensed physician. In a situation where a person who is physically incapacitated but otherwise competent appoints a person to manage his or her affairs, this is known as a conservatorship. Guardians have legal responsibilities and legal authority granted by the court to act on behalf of the ward. In some circumstances, guardianships may be limited to a specific purpose or for a specific duration of time.

An emergency guardian may be appointed in some cases when a situation exists that must be addressed before there is time for a hearing. A person interested in a guardianship may wish to consult an attorney experienced in these matters to discuss the different types and how a court is likely to proceed with the case.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

2005 BBB Torch Award Recipient Recipients of the 2005 BBB Torch Award Honoring Business of Integrity

  • ASNP
  • CMBA Green Certified 2107-19
  • member of the national eldercare matters Alliance
  • Golden opportunities

We are here to help. Contact our attorneys today.   

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Mayfield Heights Office
6105 Parkland Boulevard
Suite 140
Mayfield Heights, OH 44124

Toll Free: 866-642-0932
Phone: 216-245-0185
Fax: 216-595-2787
Mayfield Heights Law Office Map

Independence Office
Crowne Centre
5005 Rockside Road, Suite 600
Independence, OH 44131

Toll Free: 866-642-0932
Phone: 216-245-0185
Fax: 216-595-2787
Map & Directions

Westlake Office
PS Executive Centers
1991 Crocker Road
Suite 600
Westlake, OH 44145

Toll Free: 866-642-0932
Phone: 216-245-0185
Fax: 216-595-2787
Map & Directions

Mentor Office
5966 Heisley Road
Ste 201
Mentor, OH 44060

Toll Free: 866-642-0932
Phone: 216-245-0185
Fax: 216-595-2787
Map & Directions

Review Us