Solomon, Steiner & Peck, Ltd.
Call today for a consultation:
216-245-0185 / 866-642-0932

Creating an Ohio special needs trust

A special needs trust is able to provide additional benefits for a child that Medicaid and Supplemental Security Income cannot. It can even do this in a way that does not interfere with the child's government benefits. Depending on how it is set up, it can function when a parent is alive or wait until after the parent's death to begin payouts.

The first step in preparing a special needs trust is selecting a trustee to handle all of the disbursements from the trust. This person should be trustworthy and skilled at managing money to ensure that he or she can follow the parent's wishes properly. After the parent's death, the trustee also facilitates the transfer of funds from the estate to the trust.

The trustee can only use the funds in the trust for specific purposes, such as medical and dental bills, education, rehabilitation, computer equipment and home health aides. This means that the trustee cannot use them for things like food, housing, utilities, home insurance and cash payments to the child. Anybody leaving funds to the trust as the beneficiary should remember to name the trust and not the child. It is also important to remember that if the child has over $2,000 in assets, he or she may lose government benefits.

During the estate planning process, an attorney can help parents of special needs children set up this trust, also called a supplemental care trust, to care for the child's future medical needs. An attorney could explain any information that is relevant to designing this trust and offer the parents advice on how to set it up.

Source:, "The Special Needs Trust", October 24, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

2005 BBB Torch Award Recipient Recipients of the 2005 BBB Torch Award Honoring Business of Integrity

  • ASNP
  • CMBA Green Certified 2107-19
  • member of the national eldercare matters Alliance
  • Golden opportunities

We are here to help. Contact our attorneys today.   

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Mayfield Heights Office
6105 Parkland Boulevard
Suite 140
Mayfield Heights, OH 44124

Toll Free: 866-642-0932
Phone: 216-245-0185
Fax: 216-595-2787
Mayfield Heights Law Office Map

Independence Office
Crowne Centre
5005 Rockside Road, Suite 600
Independence, OH 44131

Toll Free: 866-642-0932
Phone: 216-245-0185
Fax: 216-595-2787
Map & Directions

Westlake Office
PS Executive Centers
1991 Crocker Road
Suite 600
Westlake, OH 44145

Toll Free: 866-642-0932
Phone: 216-245-0185
Fax: 216-595-2787
Map & Directions

Mentor Office
5966 Heisley Road
Ste 201
Mentor, OH 44060

Toll Free: 866-642-0932
Phone: 216-245-0185
Fax: 216-595-2787
Map & Directions

Review Us